Tuesday, October 22, 2013

LULWORTH BAY AND DURDLE DOOR


Bright blue skies greeted us this morning accompanied by quite strong, cold winds but undaunted we set off towards Lulworth Bay through the lovely Dorset countryside. Dorset is very rural, dotted with small settlements  each with their own little pub.

 


We wound our way through all this till we came down a hill and suddenly the sea was there in front of us.

Lulworth is a tiny village perched on the edge of an almost circular bay.
There was a large parking lot which testifies to its popularity as a holiday/ daytrip destination especially for walkers.


 
 And it wasn’t long before we were toiling up the path towards Durdle Door – a distance of 1¼miles.
The climb was long and steep and there were lots of pauses for a rest and the view from the top was delightful. Then came the long downward trek to Durdle Door.

 
This rock formation  is a bit like a natural arch and guards a lovely sheltered bay.
 
The beach is crescent shaped and looks a delightful place to swim if the water is ever warm enough to allow that.
 
There was one brave soul swimming today and while the sun was quite warm, the wind was very strong and cold.
 
There were quite a few people around and an ice cream man selling a variety of ice creams.
 
We then headed back to Lulworth along the chalk cliffs.
 Our first outing to the Devon Coast was a spectacular introduction to this beautiful part of England.

6 comments:

  1. Spectacular! Oh, I would love to visit or live there. So peaceful looking and that lovely beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had very photogenic weather. I envy you the walk! I was in Dorset a couple of months ago and it was just great going along that coastline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had very photogenic weather. I envy you the walk! I was in Dorset a couple of months ago and it was just great going along that coastline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Helsie, these photos are so lovely! I've seen a lot of England, but have never been at that part of the coast that you show. I will add it to my list, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m a big travel freak, and I was looking to book Cheap Private guided tours from London, thanks for sharing this blog, now I have all I need to know.
    Salisbury Stonehenge tours

    ReplyDelete